Sunday, January 23, 2011

Mint brownies

This is a true story. Nothing herein is fictional or made up. Those of you who know me may find that hard to believe, but I have witnesses.

Yesterday, a friend and I went to Rocky Mountain National Park to go snowshoeing.

After several ranger-less-and-therefore-fee-less trips to the park, we finally got there on a Saturday when a ranger was manning the entrance booth, so we had to pay an entrance fee. I paid with a credit card, and the ranger handed me a pen to sign the receipt. As I was signing, the pen's cap jumped off and fell under the driver's seat.

The car is a Toyota Camry.

Right there at the entrance to the national park, I had to get out of the car, open the left rear door, and reach under the seat to retrieve the cap. Imagine my surprise when I also retrieved a mint brownie. The brownie was completely dried out, but in perfect shape otherwise. The edges were not rounded or worn off, not even on the icing, and there was no discoloration at all. I noted the total absence of dog hair or other foreign debris.

I don't know how it got there, but I figured it had to have something to do with Christmas goodie deliveries. I decided to save it to show to the missus.

I got home in the early afternoon. My sweet wife was on the phone with somebody, so I set the brownie on the dining room table next to her elbow, and without a word went upstairs to take a shower.

I came down later and asked her, "Where's the brownie?"

She said, "I ate it. Where did you get it?"

I said, "But it was so hard and dry!"

She said, "I soaked it in milk first. Where did it come from?" I saw the bowl and spoon in front of her, so I knew she wasn't lying. She really did eat it.

Now put yourself in my place. What would you tell your spouse?

No comments: